I also caused the change appearance view to function mechanically (it still needs some aesthetic improvements such as a piece and board appearance browser) and started to rearrange my code for ease of saving key variables. In the process, I was able to fix large amounts of memory leaks and managed to discover that the >100 unused variable messages that I had been receiving were due to some variable declarations that were being imported into almost every file in my project. Finally, I began implementing data persistence itself by creating an object meant to house the data for one of the views and to save half of my data to it. The important steps now are to create a new object for storing the rest of my data and to actually save to/load from the hard drive on the iPhone.
(Note the red background squares. These result from a board appearance setting - the only one other than the default so far)
(This message is displayed when New Game is pressed and a game is in progress. Yes, I realized I misspelled "want." I fixed it in the latest Debug Build)
(The switch in this view is for controlling whether the controls are described in the game view once Begin Game is pressed. I noticed that none of my test subjects pressed the help button purposefully. The default setting is ON to make sure people know how to use the controls.)
Quick Update (12:22):
Just wanted to finish this view really quickly. Goodnight!